Search my site here . . .


Keep updated with all that's
right for your best friend!
click on this link
to subscribe to our free mailing list.


Return to Fleas Menu

 


Please tell a friend about Carole's Doggie World:


 

 


A special tip from Carole

Affordable & effective parasitic control

Going natural for flea, tick, mosquito and mite control is the most affordable and cost-effective protection available for your dog.

Compare the cost of an Easy Defense Tag with its one year life span against the expense of other flea and parasitic control medications, which must be continually reapplied on a regular basis. Not only will it save you money, it also offers these additional benefits:

  • Completely safe for your pet with no possible side effects
  • Repels mosquitoes in addition to fleas and ticks
  • Guaranteed to protect your pet from biting insects e.g. mites.

Important Note - If Your Pet Has Fleas:

The Easy Defense Tag is designed for flea and tick prevention, not eliminating infestations. If your pet is already infested by fleas, this means their environment is also infested, and the flea and tick tag on its own will not be enough to remove the infestation. To eliminate existing flea infestations, we strongly recommend complementing the tag with other natural flea removal products:

The Easy Defense Flea & Tick Tag takes just three weeks to activate, and must be clipped to a flea and tick free dog who is kept flea and tick free for the duration of the activation period until protection clicks in.

The tag offers long-lasting protection for your pooch and you will not only gain a happy healthy dog but gain more for your buck. Just clip it on and forget it!


Many of us sleep with our pets, but should we sleep with their fleas? - get rid of the little suckers!

 

A recent survey of dog owners in England found that 44% of respondents sleep with their dog. A similar survey by the American Pet Products Manufacturers' Association found that 71% of dog owners spend their nights snuggled up with their dogs.

The majority sleep under the covers, whilst the remainder sleep either at the end of the bed or on the pillows. Not surprisingly stats for cat owners are very similar.

It is fair to say that a similar percentage sleep with both their cat and their dog!

There is no quick fix in getting rid of fleas in your bed or anywhere else inside and outside of your home for that matter. The reason for this is due to the nature of fleas and their four stage life cycle:

Flea Life Cycle

Although fleas are more likely to be a problem during warm-weather months, they can also cause problems during cooler seasons due to their ability to continue their life cycle indoors.

 Flea cycle diagram

Cats and dogs which go outside are cats and dogs that will eventually pick up fleas if they are allowed to do so without flea protection. Chances are, that if you landed on this page, your pet has already picked them up; and you just want to be rid of them and out of your bed.

If you have fleas in your home don't blame the family pet because only 5% of the flea population in your home will be on your pet; the remaining 95% will be ensconced elsewhere.

To be successful in your efforts to have a flea free bed, you need to have flea free pets along with a flea free home both inside and out. Please take a moment to read our articles on Fleas on Pets, Fleas in Furniture, Fleas in Carpets and Fleas in Lawns and Yards.

If you don't have time, just let me just say that only 5% of the fleas in and around your home will be on your pets the other 95% will be lurking around in various stages of off-spring development; in dark crevices, curtains folds and soft furnishings - they will also be in your car, lawns, gardens and yards.

Getting rid of fleas in your bed - lets get started

Step 1

Wash all your bed linen, that includes every single item you use to make-up your bed in very hot water and detergent.

Wash every bit of your pet's bedding very hot water and detergent.

Step 2

Dry all bed linen in a clothes dryer and set it at the highest temperature allowed in accordance with care label instructions. Above 90 degrees Centigrade is best if permissible.

Dry your pets bedding in the same method as your own, when dry dust it with flea powder.

Step 3

Rewash and dry all your bed linen every 3 or 4 days to kill any newly adult hatched fleas which may have slipped the net. Continue to do this until you are on top of the flea infestation.

Rewash and dry your pet's bedding every 3 or 4 days as well.

Step 4

Sprinkle your mattress with boracic acid powder and leave on for 24-48 hours before vacuuming off. Remember your vacuum cleaner is you best weapon against fleas

Step 5

Spray your mattress with a natural repellant to kill and repel any future fleas. Please take a moment to read our page on Home Flea Remedies and peruse our Stop The Fleas Products page. There you will find 64 different "Only Natural" flea control/prevention products. All are safe to use around children and pets and can be ordered online.

Step 6

Your Vacuum cleaner is your greatest weapon against fleas in your bed, under your bed and in your home. Vacuum daily until you are sure you have the problem under control. A good idea is to put a Flea Collar inside the vacuum bag and once the bag is full, seal it and dispose of it off your property.

Return to top menu

Summary

Getting rid of fleas in and around your home will take diligence on your part; this could take weeks or even months. You must take a 4-pronged approach, other wise you wont be successful:

  • Treat the fleas on your pets - we suggest the Only Natural Flea tag.
  • Control the fleas inside and outside your home by using chemical free and safe flea repellants.
  • Be systematic and regular in your chosen method of flea repellants.
  • Start now!

Return to top menu

Video of the Desmond's family story about their distressed pets after applying chemical flea repellant spot-ons

The video below is well worth watching. The Desmonds administered a spot-on flea and tick control product to each of their five terriers. Within an hour of application all five dogs became sick ranging from vomiting to difficulty in breathing and one even had skin burns on its back. Watch their dogs' horrific experiences on video.

 

Return to top menu

This article and information forms part of the Carole's Doggie World Holistic Library and is presented for informational purposes only.The information is not intended to be a substitute for visits to your local vet. Instead, the content offers the reader information researched and written by Carole Curtis for www.carolesdoggieworld.com

If this info made you wag your tail, please Like and Share, and leave us a Comment