Are you vertically challenged getting rid of fleas in your curtains and drapes in your home?
Flea life cycle
Whilst fleas love to live and lay their eggs on your pets, beds, carpets and furniture, they are equally at home in your curtains and drapes.
We hang curtains and drapes to keep the sun out in summer and the warm air in during winter. In doing so, we inadvertently provide a perfect haven for fleas and their off-spring to set up home - warmth and accumulated dust, year in and year out.
The accumulation of dust comes from the fact that people tend to only wash their curtains, and have their drapes professionally cleaned during an annual spring clean.
Once people realise they have a flea infestation in their home their first reaction is to blame their family pet.
However, while it is true, that the fleas in your home have most probably been brought inside by your cat or dog, it is preposterous and far from the truth to blame your pets; or indeed other peoples' pets.
Cats and dogs who go outdoors without proper flea protection are cats and dogs who will eventually end up with cat or dog fleas, period!
Therefore the blame as to who caused the flea infestation lies entirely with the pets' parents. If the cap fits, YOU must wear it!
Once fleas have made their way indoors courtesy of your pet they don't stay long on him or her. Recents stats indicate 5% of the flea population in your home will be on your pet; the remaining 95% will be ensconced elsewhere, which of course includes your curtains and drapes.
Fleas love warm dark places to set up home and together with your dog's and your families' warm blood to feed on they are in nirvana in your home!
By their very nature they are tenacious little nasties and getting rid of them is far easier said than done. If you have an infestation you are best to over-do than under-do.
Off course it is a priority to treat your pet, but this must be done in tandem with cleaning and vacuuming your curtains and drapes; together with the remainder of your home and surrounds.
To be successful, please take a moment to read our articles on:Fleas in Beds
Fleas in Furniture
Fleas in Lawns and Yards
Fleas on Pets
Three Steps to no Fleas
Getting rid of fleas on your dog
First off bath your dog with a herbal Shampoo and Conditioner The trick here is to lather up your pet and leave the shampoo on for a minimum of five minutes at least. Any less and you are wasting your time. Five minutes are needed to completely drown all adult fleas and kill all of the off-spring in the flea's life cycle.
Getting rid of fleas in your curtains and drapes
Most curtains can be safely washed at home in a washing machine, however it is advisable to read the labels for any specific directions and laundry instructions before you start.
The fabric of your drapes and their size will be the determining factors of whether you can wash your drapes safely at home or not; or whether the manufacturer recommends you should call in a professional. Once again read the labels for cleaning instructions.
Once your curtains and drapes are clean and rehung it's a good idea to give them a spray with an indoor flea repellant spray. Before you start, do a spot check first in an area that isn't noticeable - a good area to use is the turn section, which wont be noticed if your fabric reacts adversely to the spray.
Your most effective weapon of choice should be your vacuum cleaner. Fleas hate vacuum cleaners. so once your curtains are nice and clean follow up with a thorough vacuuming throughout your home, and then vacuum again and again. Every time you think of it vacuum!
To stop any fleas slipping the net place an herbal Flea Collar in the vacuum bag while you are usung your cleaner. After that take care to seal all full vacuum bags tightly until you can dispose of them properly off your property.
Getting rid of fleas in and around your home will take diligence on your part; this could take weeks or even months. Therefore you must take a vigorous approach as summarise below, other wise you wont be successful:
- Treat the fleas on your pets - we suggest bathing your dog followed by affixing an Herbal Collar and a Flea Tag
- Be systematic and regular in your chosen method of flea repellants
- Control the fleas inside and outside your home by using chemical free and safe flea repellants
- Start now!
A video with useful information about commercial flea and pest control
This article and information forms part of the Carole's Doggie World Holistic Library and is presented for informational purposes only.The information is not intended to be a substitute for visits to your local vet. Instead, the content offers the reader information researched and written by Carole Curtis for www.carolesdoggieworld.com